Saturday, February 28, 2015

Around the 'Net

Speaking of Leonard Nimoy, Hollywood writer Mark Evanier has a great Nimoy anecdote over at his blog News From ME. Check it out here


Speaking of Spider-Man, pop culture site Dial B for Blog has a fantastic multi-part analysis of the creation of the wall crawler. The articles are well-researched and fascinating, but I don't necessarily agree with all of blogger Robby Reed's conclusions. While Steve Ditko is a genius, I don't look at Ditko as sole creator of the character and Stan Lee as a glorified typist. Not to take a shred of credit from Ditko's design work, art and plots, but I don't believe things were that simple. Would he have been the same character without Lee's brilliant dialog and characterization? Decide for yourself, part one can be found here

2 comments:

  1. Any character in a media such as Comics is going to be the combined work of several people. And I bristle (bristle, I say!) at anyone's notion that any Marvel characters were the sole idea of one person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! But I do appreciate the research that went into those articles. I learned a lot of new stuff abour Spider-Man's creation. As a writer, I tend to side with the writer in a lot of comics creation battles--they breathe life into the characters. But I realize it is a collaborative process and the artist is just as important in a lot of comics creations. Artist/writer creators must sigh with relief that they have no one to argue with over the creation of their characters.

    ReplyDelete