Friday, February 1, 2019

Update ... And now for something somewhat different ...


Time to do some blogging again! For the six or seven of my regular readers, hopefully I’ll have a bit more time this year to share some obsessions and point out various oddities. First off, a change in the review system. In order to give more accurate opinions of different media, we’re trying a few new things. First, the 5-Star review system will change to a grade system, A thru F. Don’t worry, I don’t think I’m a teacher, doling out the final say to media professionals from my ivory tower. It’s just a handy way to share an opinion. For the record, I realize that even the worst media is usually created by people trying their best to entertain—and sometimes failing miserably. No one sets out to make bad entertainment, but sometimes things go spectacularly wrong. The only exceptions are when story quality or entertainment value is booted in favor of an agenda. Doesn’t matter what the agenda is, SJW or white nationalism, progressive or alt right. If someone is more interested in pounding me over  the head with their political or cultural message than telling a story, it usually means a bad story and a low grade will be forthcoming. Given that this is every Marvel comic book published since 2010, I don’t have hopes for good reviews for Marvel comics. However, I won’t be reviewing (or reading) many Marvel books, so that shouldn’t be a problem. I want to like and enjoy pop culture, so I tend to avoid things that have proven to be toxic. I don’t “hate-watch/read” anything. I like being happy. 

The other change is just to ask, and answer, a simple question at the end of each review: Is this movie/comic/TV show worth your valuable ticket price, money or time? I’ve read mediocre reviews that are not positive or negative that leave me confused not only whether the writer actually liked the subject; but also was it worth the time/price? That’s what is important to me when reading reviews, and I will endeavor to provide it in my own. 

Just remember, this is one man’s view. You are free to differ or see/read/watch stuff I disliked. It’s all just my Humble Opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment